Friday, March 2, 2012

WOW!!  Crazy week!!

Two tornado scares during school this week.  Kentucky weather is wild. 

My new find this week is edmodo.com!! If you haven't used it, you need too.  My students love it, and so do I!!  We use it almost daily in class! You can upload assignments, quizzes, and  polls.  My Algebra 1 students completed their homework online this week! It looks like facebook so students are automatically intersted in it. Please check it out!

Also, we worked a great deal with functions this week in 8th grade.  I used a flow chart to help students see the four views of a function.  I also used a matching activity for students to match the four views. Next year I hope to make a large wall display with 4 huge pieces of paper, 4 arrows and real world representations for each four views of a function.  I am already excited to do this next year!!

We have just about finished our scale drawings of candy bars and are starting on our geometry unit.  We have a project aht involves nature for angles.  Students must create a book, PowerPoint, or display of varius angle terms that they find in the real world. This is a great way to bring in science and to connect math to real life!

6th grade started on integers this week.  We used a variation of the card game speed.  In speed, two players split their deck in half and sit the decks side by side.  Flip the top card of each stack over and then just start drawing cards from the pile to your right.  You either go up one or down one on the cards that are face up.  The first one out of cards wins.  We made the black cards positive and the red cards negative and then went up one down one.  It was a blast and the kids LOVED it!!!  Great way to talk about how integers work a little differently.

I do have some of my materials on teacherspayteachers.com please check out my store.  I will occasionally post free items to my blog for you to follow and give me feedback on.

Have a great night,

Teachers pay teachers store!

1 comment:

  1. Just wish you had a follower's button. I'd love to be your first one.

    ReplyDelete