Monday, February 27, 2012

Monday down, 4 more days to go until the weekend. 

I tutor after school every Monday.  We usually complete our homework during this time but today my 6th grade students did not have homework because they had  a test today and we will start a new topic on negative numbers tomorrow.  So I decided to go ahead and preview the lesson for them.  We discussed negative numbers using the number line, money, and a thermometer. 

I then decided to break out the playing cards and play the game speed.  If you aren't familar with speed I'll up date you.  Place the cards in two even stacks side by side take the top card of each pile and turn over face up, side by side between the two stacks of cards.  Each player will get a stack (only two players!) they will then go either up one or down one card value from the cards that are face up.  Goal is to empty your stack of cards before your partner. 

We played this with negative numbers by making black cards positive and red cards negative. It was a lot of fun!  I  have done this before with my 7th grade students and they seemed to enjoy it, but 6th grade really had a good time.  We will play this game again tomorrow during class. 

Angle time....

Angle books are on their way to creation!  When I was student teaching my cooperating teacher created angle books for her students using the frayer model and they took notes in their angle books regarding all types of angles.  We will begin this tomorrow in 7th grade.  We will have also have an angle project, "Angles in nature"  Students will create either a book, PowerPoint, or diagram of angles that occur naturally.  What a great spring project!  Very excited to get all these things started. 

Edmodo madness...

Today I started using edmodo in my algebra 1 class.  I am going to try and get the laptops everyday during this class and post quiz questions to this page and various links.  This will make completing geogebra assignments very easy!! 

Tomorrow we are going to the gym to run at different distances in order to complete the an activity for writing equations of linear graphs. 

should be an exciting week, as it usually is in middle school! 

Come see us sometime at the end of hall!!  You will definitely burn calories to see us! 

No comments:

Post a Comment